Suggestion for second major?

Home Forums General Suggestion for second major?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kym

I’ve got a huge pas­sion for becom­ing a devel­op­ment worker, and I have vol­un­teered last sum­mer with Free the Chil­dren trip to Kenya.
    Right now the prob­lem is try­ing to fig­ure out what edu­ca­tion route I should take. All of the peo­ple that I’ve met from Free the Chil­dren have taken Inter­na­tional Devel­op­ment, and some have gone back for their mas­ters. My ques­tion is, is ID the best route to take? I’ve also been look­ing at a dou­ble major so I can have a bit more knowl­edge. What would you sug­gest my sec­ond major be?

Thank you so much,

Kym

Usu­ally any Social or Polit­i­cal Sci­ence is fine but, Inter­na­tional Devel­op­ment is really one of the best majors to take because it is gen­eral enough to allow you to get into any aspect of devel­op­ment but, spe­cific enough to give you some sort of back­ground in the devel­op­ment pro­fes­sion. Most places now want a Master’s Degree (e.g. UN etc.) and hav­ing a Master’s can put you a cut above a lot of the com­pe­ti­tion. It would be good for you to do a Master’s that offers some type of work place­ment (e.g. in Canada, Carleton’s MPA has a co-op pro­grams, NPSIA has an intern­ship or the option to study or work abroad in a devel­op­ing coun­try, which is even better).

In terms of a dou­ble major, Inter­na­tional Devel­op­ment and Pol­i­tics or Eco­nom­ics is good. But, if you are inter­ested in a spe­cific aspect of devel­op­ment (e.g. rural devel­op­ment, health or edu­ca­tion etc.) you might want to do that as your other subject.

Kym

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appre­ci­ate it. I think a dou­ble major in IDS and His­tory, or IDS and Polit­i­cal Sci­ence is what I’m look­ing at right now. The schools I’m inter­ested in all offer some sort of vol­un­teer abroad and/or study abroad, which is great. I am also look­ing into vol­un­teer­ing this year with Kati­mavik or another vol­un­teer orga­ni­za­tion.
    Thanks for the help, you’ve def­i­nitely set­tled my mind a bit. I know that this is my life pas­sion, but it is frus­trat­ing since there’s not too many peo­ple in my life that work in this field to ask for advice. It’s not the run of the mill career or lifestyle but I’m more than ready for it!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.